Karl-Marx-Allee – socialist boulevard in Stalinist-neoclassicist 'wedding cake' style
- Café Sibylle – exhibition of the past and present
- Computer Game Museum – more than 300 exhibits
- Berliner Kriminal Theater for those who like to be terrified at the theatre
Until 1949 the Allee was originally called Große Frankfurter Straße, after the war it was renamed Stalinallee, and then in 1961, on the occasion of the building of the Berlin Wall, it was called Karl-Marx-Allee. It begins at Alexanderplatz and stretches for almost three kilometres to Friedrichshain via Strausberger Platz and Frankfurter Tor and, at 90 metres, is wider than the Champs-Élysées. It is therefore the most monumental post-war street construction and the GDR's most famous road. The numerous residential blocks from the 1950s were known colloquially as workers' palaces. The people's revolt began on Strausberger Platz with a builders' strike on 17th June 1953, before being put down by Soviet tanks. The two cathedrals on Gendarmenmarkt served as models for the two distinctive towers at Frankfurter Tor, which is like a city gate due to its height and symmetry.